Tie-Dyed Golf Outfits
Meet Mr and Mrs Kim, a charismatic duo who has stolen our hearts. First-generation immigrants, small business owners, grandparents and avid golfers. These are just a few titles they’re proud to wear — along with this 🔥 tie-dye outfit. After working 6 days a week for 10+ years, the pandemic has given them a reason to slow down. They’ve spent their newfound free time tie-dyeing, golfing, and celebrating 38 years of marriage. Their secret to a successful partnership? Learning to accept the uncontrollable —both in golf and life.
The golf clothes that Mr and Mrs. Kim love are made from 100% polyester, so Rit DyeMore for Synthetics was used! However, if the clothes contain less than 40% polyester, then you can use Rit All-Purpose Dye, following this tutorial.
- Prewash garment in warm, soapy water. This helps to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption.
- Leave the fabric damp and lay it out on a flat surface.
- For this project, we did the scrunch technique. For instructions on how to do other techniques, check out our complete tie-dye for synthetics tutorial here.
- Scrunch the fabric together to form a flat ball
- Secure with rubber bands. The more tightly you secure the scrunch, the more white space you will see in the final result.
- Now it is time to create your dyebath.
- Fill a stainless steel pot with three gallons of hot water.
- Cover pot and heat water on stove top to just below boiling (or 180 F°).
- Wearing gloves, add 1/2 bottle of well-shaken dye.
- Mix well.
- Add garment to dyebath.
- Stir occasionally for 5 to 30 minutes. Allow more time if dyeing 100% polyester. The longer the fabric is in the dye bath, the darker the color will be. Please note that fabric will look darker when wet and will dry lighter.
- When desired color is achieved, remove wrapped fabric from the dyebath. Squeeze out excess dye.
- Rinse in warm water and then gradually cool water until rinse water begins to run clear.
- Carefully remove rubber bands with a scissors and unfold the fabric.
- Wash in warm water with a mild detergent, rinse and dry.