- Cover work area with plastic table cover and have paper towels handy to protect against any possible spills. Gather supplies.
- Prewash pillow cases, rinse and leave damp.
- If you are dyeing something that is double-sided (i.e. a t-shirt or pillowcase) and want to prevent the dye from bleeding through to the back, place a piece of cardboard in between the front and back.
- Wearing rubber gloves, mix four tablespoons of Rit All-Purpose Liquid Dye with one cup of very hot water. Pour solution in a small squeeze bottle. Repeat with complementary colors.
- Fill a baking tray with shaving cream.
- Smooth with your hands or a spatula.
- Drip dye colors all over.
- Swirl the drops with a stick.
- Place fabric gently on the pan.
- Apply light pressure to smooth.
- Let the pillow sit on the pan for one to two minutes.
- Slowly lift the fabric from the pan.
- Scrape off excess foam.
- We strongly recommend transferring the dyed fabric to a container with Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative. It enhances the color, increases color retention and prevents dye from bleeding into the white areas. Follow these instructions.
- Rinse in cool water until water runs clear.