Mascara Bottle Costume
Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s Rit. This Halloween, reach into your makeup bag to inspire your next costume. Cyn of @HotPinkPineapples created the perfect shade for her iconic mascara costume using Rit DyeMore’s Super Pink on her synthetic spandex dress. Simply dye the dress, apply the letters, create the mascara wand and voila—you’re ready to flutter about. Create your own mascara costume by following our step-by-step instructions below.
- Rit DyeMore Super Pink
White Stretchy Tube Dress
Stainless Steel Pot
Chip Board 28” x 44”
3.5’ PVC Pipe
Large Bottle Bruch
7”x3” Styrofoam Cylinders, four
Sticky Paper: Pink, Green, Black
Sticky Letter Sheets: White, Black
Black Duck Tape
You can find a full video tutorial on how Cyn made her costume over at her Instagram here.
- Gather supplies.
- Prewash dress in warm, soapy water to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption. Leave damp.
- Fill stainless steel pot with three gallons of hot water. Cover pot and heat water on stove top just below boiling (or 180°F).
- Wearing gloves, add 1/2 bottle of well-shaken Rit DyeMore Super Pink and mix well.
- Add damp dress to dyebath and stir occasionally for 5 to 30 minutes.
- When desired color is achieved, remove dress from the dyebath. Squeeze out excess dye and rinse in warm water until water runs clear.
- Wash in warm water with mild detergent, rinse and dry.
- Measure and tape the chip board into a cylinder shape to fit around your body
- Pull dyed dress over the chip board cylinder.
- Trim and curve the corners of the black sticky paper to create the background of the label. Position and apply black sticky paper to dress.
- Print a stencil of the words “BEST LASH” using Caledo font in size 330 and cut out.
- Flip stencil over so the letters are backwards and trace onto backside of green and pink sticky paper.
- Cut out letters from sticky paper and apply text onto the black label area using a straight edge as a guide.
- Adhere “MASCARA NY” with white sticky letters beneath the word “BEST.”
- Adhere “3.4 FL OZ and 10. ML” with black sticky letters at the bottom of the costume.
- Hot glue styrofoam cylinders into a stack and cover with green sticky paper.
- Cover PVC pipe with black duck tape.
- Cut 10” section of bottle brush using wire cutters and remove enough bristles to wrap duck tape around the wire.
- Cover the taped end of the brush section with hot glue and insert into PVC pipe to secure.
- Cut a small center hole into one end of the green styrofoam lid and insert the PVC pipe.