Animal Cookie Costume
Every adult has nostalgia when it comes to frosted animal cookies with sprinkles. And of course kids absolutely love them! That’s why we fell in love with this animal cookie costume idea. It’s so easy to do with a white pair of shorts and pants that you may have lying around the house. And your kids with love adding the colorful pom poms to the costume! Learn more below.
- Cover table with plastic and gather your supplies.
- Prewash shirts and pants to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption.
- Fill a large plastic container with 3 gallons of hot water. Water temperature should ideally be 140°. Add 1 teaspoon of dish detergent to help promote level dyeing.
- Wearing rubber gloves, add ½ bottle of well-shaken Rit All-Purpose Dye in Fuchsia. Stir well.
- Test dye color by dipping paper towel in the dyebath. If color is too light, add more dye; if color is too dark, add more water.
- Wearing rubber gloves, submerge the shirts and pants into the dyebath. Stir slowly and continuously. The first 10 minutes are the most critical. Stirring helps to ensure an even color with no splotches.
- When desired color is achieved, remove from dyebath. Fabric will look darker when wet and will dry lighter. Squeeze out excess dye.
- We recommend using Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative immediately after dyeing and before washing to enhance color, increase color retention and prevent dye from bleeding into white areas. Follow package instructions.
- Rinse in cool water until the water runs clear.
- Wash in warm water with a mild detergent, rinse and dry.
- Once dry, remove the sleeve from the extra shirt with scissors. This will be used for the tail.
- Add pom poms to the shirt, pants and tail with a hot glue gun.
- Take the sleeve of the second shirt and tie a rubber band 2 inches from the end. Cut slits at that end to create a fringe look. Secure the other end of the sleeve to the pants with a safety pin.