Perfect for a picnic or laying out in your backyard to gaze at the stars. We are thrilled with how this tie dyed blanket turned out and we’re especially loving the patriotic red, white and blue colors. You’ll be all set to watch fireworks on the 4th of July!
- Prewash blanket in warm, soapy water. This helps to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption.
- Lay blanket out on a flat surface.
- Decide where to place the center of the spiral. Then position your fingers around the center point and slowly begin to twist the blanket in a spiral direction.
- Tie three pieces of twine around the blanket to hold the spiral together.
- Wearing rubber gloves, mix 1/2 cup of well-shaken Scarlet All-Purpose Dye with two cups of hot tap water. Add 1 tablespoon of salt. Pour into a squirt bottle. Shake well. Repeat with Royal Blue All-Purpose Dye.
- Place blanket on baking rack with a tray under it. This keeps the dye from puddling under the fabric.
- Squeeze dye onto blanket. We alternated colors amongst the sections that were created by the twine. Flip the blanket over and squeeze dye onto the corresponding sections on the other side.
- To help set the dye, let the blanket sit in the sun.
- Before removing the twine, we strongly recommend using Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative on the blanket. It enhances the color, increases color retention and prevents dye from bleeding into white areas. Follow package instructions.
- Remove twine with a scissors and unfold the fabric. Wash in warm water with a mild detergent, rinse and dry.