Shibori Dyed Polyester Blouse
The new Midnight Navy shade in our DyeMore line is the perfect companion to your next shibori project! With the incredible growth in popularity of polyester and polyester blends, Midnight Navy in DyeMore is the dye you need to tackle those synthetic fabrics you have. This blouse (originally white from Macy’s) is so much cooler now with a shibori blue pattern!
- Rit DyeMore Liquid Dye: Midnight Navy
- Blouse (This Blouse Was 100% Polyester)
- Stainless Steel Pot
- Measuring Cup
- Plastic Gloves
- Plastic Table Cover
- Paper Towels
- Cover work area with plastic table cover and have paper towels handy to protect against any possible spills. Gather supplies.
- For best results, prewash blouse to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption. Leave damp.
- Accordion fold or “fan fold” blouse lengthwise in approximately 2” wide folds down the length of the blouse. This will form a long, rectangle similar to a fan.
- Clip the folded fabric layers together with large office binder clips. Space the clips along each side of the folded blouse, positioning them so they are alternating from side to side. The clips create a resist and prevent the dye from penetrating the fabric, resulting in white patterned areas. The more clips used, the more white areas there will be.
- Wearing rubber gloves, fill a stainless steel pot with 3 gallons of water. Add 1 teaspoon of dish detergent to help promote level dyeing. Cover pot and heat water on stove top to just below boiling (200 F° or greater).
- When water begins to simmer, add one bottle of well-shaken dye and mix well. Keep temperature at a low simmer for the duration of your dyeing.
- Stir slowly and continuously. The first 10 minutes are the most critical. Stirring helps to ensure an even color with no splotches.
- When desired color is achieved, remove from dyebath. Fabric will look darker when wet and will dry lighter. This blouse was left in the dyebath for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess dye.
- If dyeing a blend containing cotton, linen, rayon or ramie, use Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative immediately after dyeing and before washing to enhance the color and reduce color bleeding.
- Remove binder clips and rinse in warm water and then gradually cool water until rinse water begins to run clear.
- Wash in warm water with a mild detergent, rinse and dry.