IKEA Blankets Dyed Two Ways
Cover work area with plastic table cover and have paper towels handy to protect against any possible spills. Gather supplies.
For best results, prewash blankets to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption. Leave damp.
Wearing rubber gloves, fill a large container with 3 gallons of very hot water. The water should ideally be 140ºF. If tap water is not hot enough, heat water on the stove and add to the dyebath. Pour 1/2 bottle of well-shaken dye into dyebath.
To enhance the color, add one cup of salt. Add 1 teaspoon of dish detergent to help promote level dyeing.
Test color by dipping a paper towel into the dyebath. If color is too light, add more dye. If color is too dark, add more water.
- To shibori dye the blanket (instructional video here):
- Accordion fold or “fan fold” the damp blanket in 4 ½” wide folds down the length of the fabric. This will form a long rectangle. For more pattern variations, vary the size and width of the folds.
- Accordion fold or “fan fold” the long rectangle into a 4 ½” fabric square.
- Sandwich the fabric square between the 4” blocks of wood.
- Secure “sandwich” with rubber bands to tightly hold the fabric square together.
- Immerse blanket into dyebath. Stir slowly and continuously.
- When satisfied with color, remove blanket from dyebath. Fabric will look darker when wet and will dry lighter.
- Squeeze out excess dye. Do not remove rubber bands yet.
- To solid dye the blanket:
- Immerse blanket in dyebath. Stir slowly and continuously. The first 10 minutes are the most critical. Stirring helps to ensure an even color with no splotches.
- Item can remain in dyebath from 10 minutes up to one hour. When desired color is achieved, remove from dyebath. Fabric will look darker when wet and will dry lighter. Squeeze out excess dye.
We recommend using Rit ColorStay Fixative immediately after dyeing and before washing to enhance color, increase color retention and prevent dye from bleeding into white areas. Follow package these instructions.
Rinse in cool water until water runs clear.
Wash in warm water with mild detergent, rinse and dry.