Our hearts are with those impacted by Hurricane Harvey. Until September 30th, we will be donating 5% of all online orders to the Hurricane Harvey Recovery Fund.


By Amanda Zimmer

May 29, 2017

Project Description

I bought this mid-century green velvet headboard for $50 off of Craigslist. It was exactly what I was looking for, except for the hideous hue that haunted my bedroom since I bought this beast. I had no interest in re-covering it as I don't have the time, skill, or patience. I thought of painting this thing, but did not want to lose the softness of the velvet - and the DIY tutorials seem too good to be true, and also appeared to take WAY too long for my liking to even get a fraction of the softness I wanted to maintain. Then I realized that I could DYE this! I was certain it wasn't synthetic velvet, so I was able to use regular RIT dye, but had one hell of a time deciding on a colour. I aimed for a blueish-green, but would have been happy with a range of shades in the blue or green family. I did a ton of research on colour wheels and how best to attain certain colours, so I finally bit the bullet and went for it! It turned out to be a navy-purplish hue, which I was very happy with! Anything but that candy apple green!


Flag as Inappropriate
Prep, dyeing & Rinse time: About half a day

Rit Products Used


You'll Also Need

  •   tarp

  •    bricks

  •    scotch guard

  •   4 gallon pot

  •   old towel

  •   paint brush

  •   rubber gloves

  •   spray bottle

  •   stove pot

  •   whitevinegar

Step By Step

  1. First, I setup a large tarp in my front yard where I had full sun for most of the day to help with drying time. I propped the headboard up on a few bricks so that I would be able to get to the sides and top much easier, and made sure I had my rubber gloves, an old towel and a bucket of water in case of any spills, and my paintbrush ready to go.

  2. I did a ratio of 1 capful of dye to 1 cup of water. In total I used 16 cups of water and 16 capfuls of dye which I heated up on the stove in a stainless steel stockpot, and this was exactly enough for me to do this project. I did a test spot in an inconspicuous place and at first was scared by how dark it was - then I rinsed it a little bit and it turned out to be the exact colour I was hoping for!

  3. Then I went ahead and brought the stockpot of dye outside with me. I dipped the paintbrush in the dye batch, and applied liberally all over the clean and dry headboard, massaging with gloved hands, into all the tufted crevices so that I got every stitch of fabric saturated with dye.

  4. As it turned out I was happy with the colour I was getting as is, so decided not to rinse it out after all, and let it dry in the hot sun (32 degrees, full sun).

  5. I went back after a couple hours to do a few touchup spots, and was pleased with the results. I then used a spray bottle and liberally saturated the entire headboard with white vinegar to set the dye.

  6. I left the headboard out on our covered porch for another day to make sure it was fully dried and absorbed all the vinegar, and then applied a few coats of scotch guard to ensure there is no colour transfer onto the bedsheets or pillows.

  7. All set up in the bedroom Before and After!




Store Locator


Color Library



Dyed by You

Contact Us

Online Store